Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Shuddering back to life...

Well, it's been a ridiculously long time since I have had a post on this blog.  Nearly a year.  As it happens, it's been a ridiculously long time since I played one of these games (although not quite that long.)  The last two evenings, I've managed to spend half an hour or so each with Street Fighter Alpha 3 and Real Bout Fatal Fury 2--two of the best games in the genre, and classics from the mid to late 90s era Golden Age of karate supers.

In addition; a few other developments.  My old Xbox died.  This means that I no longer have access to some of my titles that were exclusive to that console, or for which I never bought PS2 equivalents.  I'm finding, however, that I don't really care all that much.  My attitude, which was more like a completionist collector, in many respects, is now one of "I'd rather own a few games that I actually will want to play" rather than a bunch of titles that I only get out once in a blue moon to remind myself why I don't like them as much as their brethren.  Of the titles I have, that means that really only KoF2002 will be missed on the Xbox, and if I really wanted to, I could get that for the PS2 anyway (and I'd have liked to get the upgraded Unlimited Match version of that anyway--which isn't readily available in my market.  Grrr.)

I also still haven't gotten an Xbox 360 or a PS3... although both are now "aged" technology with replacements that have been in the market for a little while.  The price hasn't really dropped, though, and SF4 continues to get revisions (the supposed last one due to come out this summer sometime) and I've spent money that I could have used to feed this hobby on a slew of new backpacking gear instead.  Frankly, this hobby waned in my attention, and I haven't given it much thought.  But it didn't go away completely (like my interest in tabletop miniatures wargames has), it merely slumbered.  I'd like to revisit just a few things in the next little bit, and I'd like to play some of my old games a bit again too.  I'd like to get a new system, and I'm now leaning a bit towards the PS3 rather than the 360, since it will have the latest SF4 title, KoFXIII and the upgraded MvC3 titles--really all that I probably even want, at this point.  Maybe I should haunt garage sales and whatnot looking for one?  I still remain pretty cheap, and with a son going off to college in the near future, that's not likely to change soon either.

However, I'd like to archive a few of my websites; converted and upgraded, perhaps, into blog posts.  I'm more confident that blogger will be here than freewebs in five to ten years, frankly, and I've already been burned with content that I lost when Geocities died.  Better to keep stuff handy.

I'll start by converting my Southtown geography pages into blog posts.  Ironically, it looks like the last time I blogged--nearly 11 months ago--I addressed that topic lightly.  It will perhaps seem as if I'm fixated on the subject.  Ah, well.  I don't really blog all that much anyway.

No comments: