Friday, January 22, 2010

Welcome to my new blog!

I'm a big fan of Japanese two-dimensional, superhero-like martial arts fighting games. That means, basically, games like Street Fighter, Darkstalkers, King of Fighters and Fatal Fury. A handful of other titles could pass muster, but that's the core series of games that I'm talking about.

I'll spend some time talking about my personal gaming history, my views on these types of games, and more as time goes on, but primarily, what I wanted to do was take them out of my more "mainstream" blog; I found I was talking often enough about these kinds of games that I wanted to keep that discussion separate. I have little reason to believe that the readers of my regular blog have any interest in this type of game, so why not put it somewhere where it doesn't distract them, and it can get the attention it truly deserves, I thought?

Why not indeed? That's why I created this new blog.

For starters, let's talk about the blog title. SFKOFFF. This is actually a code I put on a DVD storage box where I keep most of my games of this genre. My kids asked me what it meant, but my eight year old looked at it for about three seconds and puzzled it out: Street Fighter - King of Fighters - Fatal Fury. Since I consider those the core titles of the genre and I don't have a good label for the genre as a whole, I whipped up that rather dumb little acronym. Most likely, I'll change it when I can think of a better label, but in the meantime... turns out that's not such a hot priority, so I've kept with it. Certainly it's better than some of the other hybrid titles I've thought of. I mean, Dark Fatal King of Furious Street Stalking Fighters doesn't exactly trip off the tongue. I've thought of street fighters (lower case, to distinguish from the Street Fighter series) but it doesn't sound generic enough. I'll keep working on that.

No comments: