Friday, January 29, 2010

Still no genre title...

As much as I've tried (well, I honestly haven't tried that hard, but I have given it some thought) I don't have a good label for the genre that's not overly long and clunky and descriptive. I still keep gravitating towards street fighting, perhaps in homage to the first game of the genre, and its sequal which single-handedly launched the genre into superstardom status. But, it seems too exclusive, so I keep backing away.

One thing that has occured to me in the past about it, and typing up the last post kinda cemented it some more. The genre, whatever we decide to call it, has a lot of correspondances with the American superhero comic book genre too. In fact, the characters are a lot like superheroes, and they clearly (most of them, anyway) have superpowers.

And I don't just say that because Capcom took the Street Fighter engine and used it to make fighting games with Marvel superhero characters in them. Although that's certainly a valid bit of supporting evidence.

Think about the plots of the Street Fighter Alpha or the NESTS Saga games, though. You can't tell me that those don't sound like they're straight out of a comic book. The only big difference is that street fighting characters don't tend to wear spandex and a mask, and don't have secret identities.

No comments: