Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Fanfiction

Fan fiction has a bad name. Deservedly so, in most cases. There's so much terrible fan fiction on the internet that it's impossible to adequately convey the huge, sprawling, horrible mass of it.

However, not all fanfic is horrible. Some of it doesn't deserve the bad name it's got. When I first discovered the world of fan fiction, in the mid-90s, so quite some time ago now, it was while I was searching the Internet for stuff related to Street Fighter, with which I was pretty much in love at the time. And by far the best stuff I found were these quick vignettes by Bethany Cox.

I've added a link at the bottom of the post here. All of her stories are there, that I know of. Some of the links are bad; some of the text files end in a .txt extension, and some end in a .cox extension, but the links are not all accurate. You'll have to manually update the URL on the links that don't work.

Bethany's stories really helped bring the characters to life for me, in a way beyond that of the game. She had a real talent for characterization. Which is really what these stories are about; they're not action-packed, plot driven expositions, they're character studies, and as such, they're absolutely brilliant.

Check 'em out. I promise, despite the fact that they're tainted with the bad name of fanfiction, these are the exceptions that prove the rule. They're good.

www.thekeep.org/~rpm/streetfighter/

No comments: