Monday, February 8, 2010

Two new series...

Although I don't have time to start this today, I'm giving as a heads-up; I've got two new blog post series that I want to initiate sometime this week.

For the first series, I want to go back and play my copies of all of the older games that I have... in chronological order. So, I'll take my old Xbox and my Capcom Classics Collection 2 and spend an entire evening with the original Street Fighter, for instance, before moving on to the various Street Fighter IIs, the Fatal Furies, the King of Fighters, etc. I'm not going to religiously research the exact release dates, but I am going to make an effort to get them more or less chronologically correct. Should be fun to see the evolution of the genre unfold before my eyes.

The second series will be one devoted to the myriad, and today mostly anonymous, Street Fighter II rip-offs. The games that attempted to cash in on the craze by being similar. As it happens, an inordinate amount of these games were released on the Neo*Geo hardware, even when they weren't necessarily SNK developed. That means, among other things, that they are easy to emulate, and therefore screenshots and even youtube videos of them are easy to find. I don't have much direct experience with most of these games (except for the SNK ones like Fatal Fury) so I won't be talking from direct experience, but I can describe them in some detail based on what other people have said about them, and I can post video, and I can talk about their place in the grand scheme of things, such as it is.

Like I said, it is bizarre that the Neo*Geo hardware hosted so many of these rip-offs, but it's got the Fatal Fury series, the Art of Fighting series and the King of Fighters series by SNK, the World Heroes and Aggressors of Dark Kombat by ADK, the Breakers series by Visco, the Fighter's History series (or at least Fighters History Dynamite) by Data East, the last of the Power Instinct game (Matrimelee) by Atlus/Noise Factory, Double Dragon by Techmos and the unofficial sequal Rage of the Dragons by Noise Factory and Evoga... the list goes on. And those are just the obvious ones.

Anyway, I hope that I have fun writing both series, and I hope that you also have fun reading the.

No comments: