Monday, August 25, 2014

Charge characters

I suppose I've forgotten how much time I spent practicing the fireball and dragon punch motions on a control pad when I first got Street Fighter 2 for the SNES.  It can't have been intuitive or automatic that I was able to transfer intellectual knowledge of the motion into actual implementation without some practice on an unfamiliar controller.

However, I have forgotten.  I have a vague memory of finding the motion difficult and doing it in Training Mode and elsewhere for quite a while before I got it down.  And then, once I had it down, I greatly preferred playing characters with Command style moves--as opposed to the other major alternative; charging characters, a la Guile.

Now, I liked Guile well enough in SF2.  Charge motions weren't that bad when it was merely Sonic Boom and Flash Kick.  Once super combos were added, however, charging characters became much more frustrating to me, if they had weird charging style super combo motions.  Realistically, of course, what I'd prefer is that the sonic boom were performed like a fireball, and the flash kick like a dragon punch with the kick instead of punch button.  The super and ultra combos could similarly be harmonized with a command style motion.  Or at least I'd be able to toggle to such a system.  Since Capcom is unlikely to offer customizeable commands for any characters, I've decided that I should probably try to learn the odd charge/delta motion of the Double Flash kick and Flash Explosion, and make Guile a part of my personal roster again.  This would also enable me to use other charge characters (like Chun-Li, for instance--or Vega, Honda, Blanka, etc.) instead of avoiding them, although the Sonic Hurricane is still an annoying motion to do on a control pad, and I'll probably most ignore it.

Part of the reason I continue to like this genre of games, long after foregoing most other video games, is the fact that I don't have to put much work into it, though.  I can sit down and play for an hour or so after months of not touching it, and have a reasonably good time.  So, the idea of learning a complicated and difficult move to expand my character roster may seem to be anathema, but I'm willing to give it a try and practice it for a while, largely because it will open up several new characters to me.  Plus, SF4 Guile, with some of his alternate "swat team" costumes, is just too cool to continue to ignore.

1 comment:

Desdichado said...

Won the game with Guile last night. I got OK at doing the charge delta motion of the Double Flash and Flash Explosion, but it'll need more work to really feel natural and like I can count on it working when I need it (like I can with Shotokan supers, for instance.)

Also played through with Cammy; my first time using her in quite some time.