Wednesday, January 14, 2015

"Omega Mode"

Although maybe I'm a little late to the party (I didn't even see the update until early this year, although it came out in mid-December), I've been playing around with the 1.04 patch to Ultra Street Fighter 4, which adds the Omega mode move sets to each character.  This is pretty exciting, but I have to say that my first impression is that it's only been half done; it's like a beta for a patch rather than a complete one or something.

Why is Omega limited to only a few modes of game play?  It looks like you can use it in Training, in Vs. and in Endless, but not in Arcade, and not in Ranked Battles.  Since ranked battles and arcade would seem to be the most used; one would think, this is an odd exclusion.  You should be able to pick your move set or character version in any mode, in my opinion.  Personally, I get my "training" in arcade rather than in Training; I use Training just to make sure I can actually pull moves off without the distraction of an opponent: CPU or otherwise.

Speaking of which, it's also not nearly as helpful as it used to be, since the move list included in the game is an Ultra move list, and the new moves and changed moves that belong to Omega aren't actually documented anywhere!

I guess maybe the really technical, competitive players may like this whole journey of discovery; for me, who am admittedly a more casual player, the launch of Omega seems pretty half-cocked rather than fully done.  I want the moves listed, and I want to be able to use them in any mode.  Not having that feels just bizarre; like I'm playing a deliberately incomplete beta or something.

No comments: