Tuesday, January 27, 2015

SFIV vs. SFV

Here's an interesting video:




Some comments of mine:
  • I thought my own emphasis on presentation and other aesthetic features was a personal quirk of my own, but apparently I'm not the only one.  Good!
  • Putative release date: February-ish 2016.
  • I disagree with him about the roster.  Small rosters are no fun when you're used to a series that has a lot of characters.  That was where SFIII went wrong, and where SFA1 was a failure; the games didn't feel "complete" until the rosters were bulked up with later entries.  It's a bit of a moot point, probably; I won't be an early adopter
  • I agree with him on the question of the graphics.  Mostly.  While the new game certainly looks a bit more detailed and flashier, while having a slightly more "realistic" Tekken-ish look.  This isn't really a question of an upgrade to the graphics, really, as much as it is a change in style, however.  Personally, I was a fan of the more cartoonish graphics of SFIV.  They seemed to follow naturally from the SFA series, and were similar stylistically--while clearly showing as an order of magnitude improvement.
  • That said, I wonder about the flashier elements.  The special and super moves that have "F/X" attached to them, and all that.  That, clearly, isn't "realistic" at all, and in fact moves the game even more (at least in some ways) towards being a superhero fantasy rather than a normal martial arts game.  Which is fine.  In fact, it's always been the case for SF, and therefore, in large part, for the genre itself, since SF was so important in forming the genre.

No comments: