Monday, August 2, 2010

SF2 ripoff list

I like making lists. Since I specifically said I'd like to do a series about games that were obvious attempts to cash in on the Street Fighter II arcade craze while it was hot, I decided to make a list of the specific games (or series) that I'm talking about here.

I excluded the games developed by SNK, although I did so kinda by fiat. Fatal Fury was in development before Street Fighter II's release (or so I've heard) so it gets by on a technicality, although otherwise it quacks exactly like a SF2 rip-off. That is an even more difficult sell to exclude SNK's Art of Fighting series, or the King of Fighters series that followed afterwards. However, I'm going to arbitarily excuse them because they were all long-lasting and influential enough to have developed beyond being merely a throwaway SF2 clone. Most of the rest of the titles on this list are much more obscure, if they had sequels, they were really just minor upgrades or freshenings of the original, or otherwise fail at some kind of handwavey notoriety test, as judged solely by me.

Despite giving SNK a buy here, their hardware system, the Neo*Geo platform, as it turns out, was host to a lot of the other clones that'll pop up on this list, due to the fact that SNK licensed the hardware to other development houses. But that's neither here nor there, really.

Here's the list of games I anticipate talking about in this series once I get it off the ground.

Breakers series (by Visco)
  • Breakers
  • Breakers Revenge

Fighters History series (by Data East)

  • Fighters History
  • Fighters History Dynamite

Agressors of Dark Kombat (by ADK)

World Heroes Series (by ADK)

  • World Heroes
  • World Heroes 2
  • World Heroes 2 Jet
  • World Heroes Perfect

Double Dragon series (by Technos and Evoga and Noise Machine)

  • Double Dragon
  • Rage of the Dragons

Voltage Fighter Gowcaizer (by Technos)

Power Instinct series (by Atlus)

  • Power Instinct
  • Power Instinct 2
  • Gogetsuji Legends
  • Groove on Fight
  • Matrimelee

No comments: