Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Arcade Edition

Capcom was always notorious about tinkering with their titles and releasing various iterations of it as separate games. On my Xbox collection, I have no fewer than four versions of Street Fighter II, and there are several that I don't have as well... there are at least seven or eight significantly different official versions, the latest and greatest (and probably last) of which is given the jaw-cracking title of Super Street Fighter II Turbo High Definition Remix. Even the acronym is long--SSF2THDR.
.
Since I still haven't managed to pick up a Playstation 3 or an Xbox 360, I still don't have any of the Street Fighter IV titles, but I just read today that there is a pending release called the "Arcade Edition" of Super Street Fighter IV which is meant to be the "last word" on the IV titles. In today's day and age, of course, you can get this as a DLC add-on to your existing copy of Super Street Fighter IV, or you can buy it as a complete package all on its own. All characters, including the new ones, will be unlocked from the get-go. The game will also be available on the PC, which is where I might buy it (although I need to get a new graphics card first, I think.)

Anyway, all that's really neither here nor there; what struck me as slightly unusual about the announcement, which is actually a few weeks old at least by now--I'm a little behind paying attention to what's going on with the world of SS4--is that one of the new characters being added to the game is a fella named "Oni."

See, that seems like an all new character, with a name like that, but it's very obvious from the screenshots, game videos, and concept art released to date that Oni is actually the final, ultimate, "fully evolved" version of Akuma. And curiously, he looks an awful lot like a custom color edit that I used to have on my old copy of Capcom vs. SNK Pro! Given this new announcement, I'm actually quote jazzed to see if I can make time to create a custom edit on my Capcom vs. SNK 2 PS2 version (although I still haven't unlocked Shin Akuma or Ultimate Rugal--I haven't had much time to play this last week in the evenings...). I can't do a few of the details, of course, including the longer hair, the shirtless outfit, or the flying beads, but I can get the white hair, black/blue skin and dark clothes easily enough.

Anyway, feast your eyes on some artwork, including one that's actually for SNK vs. Capcom: Chaos's version of Shin Akuma, which is probably a graphical precursor to Oni anyway.


3 comments:

Desdichado said...

So... apparently I can get an Xbox bundle from Gamestop, that includes Street Fighter IV... for $143. Maybe I can angle that as a Father's Day gift?

Desdichado said...

On the other hand, that's the old RROD prone 360s. But the newer ones are quite a bit more expensive--the $200 doesn't have any memory; the one with more memory than I could ever need costs $300. Eugh. I'd love one right in the middle. About 100 gig of memory and $250--sounds about perfect.

Desdichado said...

New development! I did another search of Gamestop's homepage just recently and a new Xbox item just popped up--the Microsoft refurbished 360 with 20 Gig bundle for $99!

Sells as if for new at Gamestop. Wasn't listed just a few days ago, and I was in a store literally yesterday and no word of this was said. But, it's being released tomorrow. I think this may be the system I want.