Friday, May 20, 2011

Capcom vs. SNK

Well, I've been playing with my new PS2 copy of Capcom vs. SNK 2, mostly in an effort to unlock the two bosses. Either I got really lucky with the Xbox, or I've just forgotten that it took me longer than I thought to qualify for and unlock the "good" bosses. It's hard to break the Groove Points total up into the 1500s, or get a Dramatic KO. Ironically, it might actually be harder, since I've turned the difficulty down in an attempt to unlock the characters faster... the opponents spend a lot more time just standing there instead of doing things that would help me get a Dramatic KO, for instance.

After playing around with it for a bit last night, I also put my old PSX Capcom vs. SNK Pro in the machine and played around with that for a bit. Apparently I've forgotten how to get my custom colors, or I've not saved them after all, since I couldn't get any of them to display. Yuck.

Also; I remember thinking that the stages in that game were about 50/50--real hit and miss, with some great ones and some terrible ones. Turns out, playing around with it again, that I had been overly pessimistic on the game. There's maybe three or four stages that I don't much like, although they don't really actively offend or anything. Other than that, the rest are certainly better than average.

The graphics in general; the stages as well as especially the "special effects" of fireballs and stuff, are much more blocky and pixelated than I remember, though. The game didn't look nearly as good as I remember. It's probably not worth it to chase down a Dreamcast copy just to see if it has better graphics; with Capcom vs. SNK 2 out, I'm not likely to actually play this very often, other than to hear the BGM or see the stages. I still really wish I could get "sprite rips" of the stages. Since it's a PSX game, there should be plenty of emulation out there, for those who do sprite rips to go to town. But for whatever reason, it doesn't appear that anyone has done so. Disappointing.

Anyway, here's a screenshot from the game, of Ryu KOing Cammy in the nifty revised Pao Pao stage.

No comments: