Thursday, May 26, 2011

Mike Haggar

Alright, alright, one more update. I've said for a long time that it's a shame Mike Haggar never made it into a Street Fighter game. Most of the rest of the Final Fight crew was in the Alpha series, but Mike, as the star of Final Fight, was a notorious miss (although he made cameos in the stages, cheering on Guy, mostly.)

And I've said also for a long time, that I'm out of touch with the latest and greatest, since I still haven't picked up a current gen system--a situation that is starting to feel more and more intolerable over time, sadly. So I missed this--although Mike Hagger still hasn't made it into a Street Fighter game, he did get brought up to speed in the modern age in Marvel vs. Capcom 3. Since he's been made, that opens up the possibility of him being a DLC character at some point in Street Fighter IV too.

And of course, there's an alternate costume for Zangief where he's in Mike Haggar clothes. Here's a video of Mike Haggar action from MvC3.

1 comment:

Desdichado said...

Odd that I didn't notice this before, but I showed this video to my 9 year old son, and he immediately caught a resemblance between Mike Haggar and Franco Bash of Fatal Fury 3 and the three Real Bout games. I didn't even think he was familiar enough with the Real Bout games to recognize characters that are unique to them.

I think it slipped my notice because Haggar is a grappler with many Zangief like moves, while Bash is a boxer. But he's right--they look eerily similar, especially Franco from the Real Bout Special and Real Bout 2 phase, where his sprite was re-drawn.